Saturday, June 20, 2009

Finally the Weekend

Good morning from Thailand.  

I guess the best news I have is that I have a home! It is a teeny one room apartment (more like a dorm room or hotel room really) but I have a beautiful view and it's in a great location very central to everything.  I'm very happy and am in the process of trying to make things homey and cozy.  This is an uphill battle considering the tiled floor makes the entire room look like an oversized bathroom and the lighting makes me feel like I'm in surgery.  But I will do what I can.  Hopefully after a few days of market shopping I will find some fabrics and such to make it a little more colorful in here.  

The work week was actually quite good! A few highlights included the numerous presents which I seem to get on my desk every day (yesterday I was given lettuce), a baker woman who stopped by the office and set up a temporary bake sale which was delicious, and watching my Conversation students play pictionary which was just about one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.  I told them to choose team names after I broke them into 2 teams.  In my first class the teams were "Payap" (the name of the University) and "Papaya."  My second class named their teams "Beautiful Team" and "Flower."  This somewhat shows the personalities of the two classes.  The first class is funny and rowdy.  The second class is a lot of cute girls who giggle throughout everything.  

The laughter in class has become one of the classroom staples.  When I call attendance I swear it's just about the funniest thing that has ever happened to any of them.  Kids are crying with laughter as I call out the names in what is my best effort at saying them.  To be fair their names are all English words so I say them as I would normally say English words.  That is the hilarious part.  They expect me to say "Dump" and "Stop" with a Thai accent Thai accent.  I'm not even sure how one would do those things.  But until I figure it out I'm happy to entertain.  

That is all for now.  I'm off to find some breakfast in this city.  

3 comments:

  1. I hope Dump is not someone's name...
    I'm up in Nonquitt now missing you! Your dad gets here tomorrow - I'll eat some swordfish and try to get them to wear sunscreen for you (although it will probably rain for a week).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do as my Father does: buy many festive table lamps and turn them all on, and never ever turn on the ceiling "surgery" light.
    In my apartment before Mason moved in, I turned on 11 lights in my one room every night. It was cozy.

    Glad you have a place to live, now I can visit!

    ReplyDelete