Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Every day gets weirder and weirder

Today was Tuesday.  My students knew the word for Tuesday.  This was exciting.  

Today I taught two general English classes which fueled a plethora of amusing moments. Amusing moment number 1.  My first encounter with a famed Thai lady boys.  This particular lady boy goes by Nancy and is my student.  I would have NEVER known Nancy was a he until I looked on the attendance sheet and she was listed as Mr. [insert cryptic Thai name here].  Also I handed out a little questionnaire to all of my students to gauge their English.  The final question on the worksheet was, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Nancy's response was "I want to be a woman!!!!!!!!!" Classic.  

Additionally on the little worksheet I made was the question, "What is your favorite movie?" One of the best responses I received from a student was, "Thaitanic." 

Another amusing moment today occurred when I went to make what I thought would be a simple purchase at the campus bookstore.  I went to buy folders.  These are much harder to come by than one might think.  What I ended up purchasing are two of the best examples of Asian uses of English that I have so far stumbled across.  (they like the look of English words so they put them on items regardless of what the words actually say.)  Consequently one of my folders says, "small and cute mini pigs!!!" all over it.  The other one has facts about breast milk.  

Lastly, I made a peace offering with the slightly quiet woman who I share a little cubicle with.  I gave her an "I heart NY" pencil in the hopes of sparking a friendship.  My plan worked and she returned my gesture by bringing me a bottle of what she described as "drinkable fermented milk" and followed it up by saying, "now we can share!" 

All in all a pretty successful day if you ask me. 

7 comments:

  1. That folders story made my day---also, the image of you and Ted on a motorbike in Thailand.
    I miss you, but hopefully the blogosphere will make it easier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elena,

    This is Mason, Selina's boyfriend. I'm definitely going to be following the blog, if that's all right with you?

    Maybe Selina has mentioned it to you before, but I study Thai Boxing (Muay Thai) here in NYC. I've been thinking lately about going to Thailand for a month or so to train at a boxing camp. I know there are a few in Chaing Mai.

    I'm saving up money so that maybe when Selina comes to visit you later in the year, I could come along.

    I hope that you have a great time abroad. Maybe we'll see each other soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, this is such a great read. I can't wait to hear more!! And say hi to Ted for me! When I grow up, I want to be a woman too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS- "ShunelleBelle" is my 7th grade AIM screen name. In case you couldn't figure it out, this is Chanel, haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post some pics. I LOVE Thailand. I got that phrase tattooed on my forearm actually when I was in Thailand....in Henna of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m coming for the breast milk folders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mason? How'd you get here?

    Elena, Seguin and I are sitting in a internet cafe in Stockholm reading your blog on different computers at the same time and laughing as if on cue.
    We love you! This is amazing, I am so jealous/excited for you and can't wait to visit.
    You are marvelous and I love you with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete