Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Daily News

Since we last spoke there have been a few small changes to our universe.  For one, Michael Jackson.  Being abroad when there is big news back home is pretty disorienting.  For one, I can't really get a handle on how big this news is.  Second of all, at work on Friday I suddenly represented the United States of America at large.  Numerous staff members and students approached me, all saying the same exact words, "I apologize for the loss of your superstar."  In my conversation class they were even more interested.  "How do you feel?" they kept asking me.  I don't really know how I feel.  But I do know that the Thai people expect me to feel something. And if I am the only Westerner in the room they certainly expect me to feel something important. 

On another note entirely last night I went to what can only be described as a communist themed bar.  I do not understand about 98% of the things that happened during my 4 hours there.  I do know there were many people performing on stage.  Some had dreads, some had on fake mustaches, some were delicate Thai girls in traditional garb.  I also know that the walls were decorated with massive portraits of communist leaders as well as a few completely inexplicable additions. Namely Ringo Starr in a Hamlet pose and nearly an entire wall devoted to Julia Louis Dreyfus.  Still, I was happy to dance along to the music I didn't understand underneath the wall-sized portrait of a black Bob Dylan.  I was even happier to watch Jason get ambushed by a brigade of Thai men (definitely over 40 and definitely straight) who forced him to chug a beer and dance with them.  Thankfully no one turned to us when the Michael Jackson impersonator moonwalked onto the stage.  For even with the buzz of whiskey refills and the looming portrait of what looked somehow both like Ross Perot and Mao, if I had heard the refrained apology or been asked how I felt about my superstar I would have told them that to be doing the Thriller dance in a communist club was far too soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment