Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spelling Bees

Yesterday was English Day at Payap. A day for students to practice their English skills through games and general merriment. Aka yet another excuse for people to do things like where pants to work and have fine American delicacies such as mashed potatos in a styrafoam cup covered in chili sauce. I for one was designated as one of the ladies of the Spelling Bee (or "Spelling Bees" as it was donned.) We three lonesome Western teachers in the department were honored with such duties based on our fine mastery of English pronounciation.

The Bee proved much more popular than I could have hoped for. Round One. First Word: "Meal." This knocked out about 90% of the contestants. Things progressed from there. There was a heated fight over the word "separate" as well as cries of shock and seeming pain when we announced such words as "receptionist" and "embarrassing." The most important round of the day (grand prize = scrabble) was won on the word "noticeable." And it was won by my student! His name is Mac, or Max, or Mc. I can never keep up.

1 comment:

  1. WELL,, I AM A FOREIGN TEACHER HERE IN THAILAND AND I'M WONDERING HOW DOES THE SPELLING BEE DONE HERE.. THEY JUST GIVE ME AN INSTRUCTION BUT I DON'T KNOW THE RIGHT VOCABULARY FOR MY STUDENTS TO PRACTICE.. IF IT IS A DIFFICULT WORD OR LAYMAN'S TERM..

    ReplyDelete