Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Is that you?

The class I teach for the Chinese students is organized like so: I was to teach one section of the students for half of the semester and then switch with another teacher midway through. Today we made the switch. While it was sad to wave goodbye to my antiquated Darolina's and female Albert's it was with amusement and fondness that I met the next crop of Chinese. As I came to the door there was the mandatory gasp from the classroom as they realized that their new teacher was a) not Asian b) American! c) Under the age of 100. It was I who gasped next however as they introduced themselves to me. Now instead of the Herbert's and Herb's I have a room full of dopplegangers of my American life. Students whose English nicknames echo my nearest and dearest and most uncommonly named from home. On paper the new crop of Chinese names to learn are names already I know all too well.

Is that you Sonya? Sleepaway camp pal and Princeton compatriote. Oh no, it's just my new student Sonya Xiongling from Hunan Province. And Selina! My lifelong friend and bosom buddy....here turned into a small Chinese girl with thick bangs. "Annie," I read from the roster thinking of my beautiful roomate and darling friend, but I look up to see a skinny Chinese girl with a thick headband. "Oliver?" But no love interest here. Just a gangly boy with lens-less glasses and a skinny tie. "Andy?" My childhood babsitter flashes to mind, but no it's only Andy Shaoqin an adorable girl from China's south. Naturally scattered in are the requisite Hebe's and Happy's but it is nice to finally stand in front of a room full of people I know, even if only just on paper.

2 comments: