Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Hero


My students are in the process of doing presentations on their "Hero" or "Heroine." The gamete of people, animals, mythical creatures we have run is unbelievable.  Today I had two presentations back to back.  The first one was on Jesus Christ and the second one was on Steve-O from Jackass.  WWJD? 

The hands down, far and away most popular Hero is called Doraemon. (see flying cat winking)  Roughly seven people have presented on him and every time someone comes to the podium with their little Doraemon figurine there is a collective knowing sigh, as if no one in the world could ever surpass Doraemon.  Not even Jesus Christ.  Not even Steve-O. 

As I have gleaned from the presentations, (which by the way all begin "Good afternoon Teacher and my friends,") Doraemon is a Japanese animation cat who has come from the future to save the present.  "He is blue color," they all say.  Apparently Doraemon has no ears because a mouse, which they usually call a "lat" several times as I repeatedly say "a what?" until they abandon "rat" and switch to "mouse," bit off his ears.  Additionally Doraemon carries a bag on his belly.  This is where the presentation ends.  

"What's in the bag?" I ask.  "Everything," they answer.  "Everything?"

"Oh a spoon, band aids, an airplane, weapons, food, small furniture....everything."  

Then they sit down.  After seven presentations this is still all I know about Doraemon.  What I know about Steve-O is that he once "got a tattoo while driving." 

"Good afternoon, teacher and friends." 







No comments:

Post a Comment