Monday, July 13, 2009

Cheats

Before I came to Thailand the most I knew about Payap University, where I teach, was an article written by my friend Alexis.  She had held the position two years prior to me and had later written an article for the New York Times about a student of hers named Dream who fell in love with her. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/fashion/03love.html?scp=1&sq=alexis%20schaitkin&st=cse
Last week a student turned in a homework assignment that makes me think I might be headed towards the same fate.  This is what his homework said.  "My name is Nut.  I am 20 years old. I want to be going out with someone.  Especially Ajarn Elena because I fall in love with you.  I love you at first sight and I want to know how to flirt with you.  I am interested in your pretty face and your hairstyle.  I am a funny guy and talkative.  I want to know you more than at this time.  Finally, I want to hang out for a dinner with you."  

My comment was.  "I'm taken.  Excellent grammar."  I mean it was pretty well written.  

Today in class all of my students cheated.  Actually I should revise that statement.  Every single boy cheated.  Literally hand-written copies of wikipedia articles were turned in as their homework.  They were assigned to write me half a page about a holiday they celebrate.  Students who usually write sentences akin to "Hello, my name Jane. I have 1 sisters," turned in assignments with sentences like, "there is a marked differentiation between the Gregorian and Lunar calendars."  Everyone is getting a zero.  

The fact that they're all such cheats doesn't stick in their minds as something bad.  During our weekly Friday quizzes I am constantly shouting people's names to make them stop cheating.  "stop, Stop!" (I generally just tell Stop to stop because it's funny to say his name, rarely is he doing anything that bad.) They think of cheating as helping one another.  The other thing that they cannot wrap their minds around is that I can still see them talking on the phone during class EVEN if they cover the phone with their hair.  You would be shocked by how many people do this. 

Good day U.S.A. 



1 comment:

  1. Part 1: Aww how cute. I'm in love with you too. Especially your pretty face and hairstyle.

    Part 2: Seriously? Do they think you're an idiot?

    ReplyDelete