Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Buy Buy

I have been writing many posts about leaving Thailand. Which probably sounds intensely premature, but truly it is what has been on my mind. Perhaps I am a broody Mr. Darcy at heart, perhaps I am an angsty male WB character, or perhaps I am just 22 and confused about "life."

The way I have been remedying my intense in-Thailand-leaving-Thailand nostalgia is by purchasing everything money can buy. Every silly knick knack that I have shunned for the past year is now a possession of mine. Somehow I feel like by purchasing as much as humanly possible I will be able to cram Thailand into my suitcase. Haven't these buddhists taught me anything?

A neon green Thailand t shirt with attched necklace? Sure! A macrame elephant? I'll take it.

I've been doing the same thing with photographs. Taking pictures of things like my doorknob, ("this is so I can remember you doorknob,") my shower curtain, the trash cans in front of my building. Why am I doing this? Don't I know that the only thing I can do is live each day right now and not worry about tomorrow and the day after?

But perhaps this is the curse of having a good time. And maybe nostalgia and happiness just go hand-in-hand. So for now, I'm happy. And probably wearing an "I heart Panda" t.

No comments:

Post a Comment