Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tutor Me

I meet with my Thai tutor twice a week.  Every time I see her I understand more and more what my students must feel like.  

Thai conversation 
Surat: Hello Elena! How are you! asonsoinaoisnalksaoidnfusodundoidodsufnsfnsdbudnsoindsoindsiufbsdiudbin?

Elena: Hello Surat. I'm fine. [silence]

Surat: oidnoasindoasuniunaldmoiasjdiausbdknkdfusndfksun

Elena: I don't understand.  

Surat: aosidnasodns? 

Elena: [silence followed by giggles]



Conversation with Students from my General English Class
Student: Teachaaaaaaaaaa

Elena: yes? How are you?

Student: I'm fine teachaaaaaaa

Elena: Do you have a question?

Student: [silence followed by giggles]

Elena: Question? question? confused?

Student: [silence]

Elena: ok?

Student: bye bye teachaaaaaaaa


Strikingly similar. bye bye teachaaaaa.

No comments:

Post a Comment