Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Today

I just received a facebook chat from one of my students, "I'm scared." She wrote. "And I'm so embarrassed." Facebook has been the only way for me to stay connected to everyone in Thailand now that I'm gone. "What is happening to our land of smiles?" One student wrote. "Peace when?" wrote someone else. "Thailand needs peace!" "Oh, Oh, I'm so embarrassed."

The shame and embarrassment that they are expressing speaks volumes about the Thai people. When I first arrived in Thailand every person I met was concerned with whether or not I felt safe. "We take care of you," they always said. "Tell your parents that we take good care of you." You took excellent care of me and now I just wish that I could take care of you.

The fighting has spread to Chiang Mai and I received various emails from students with photographs of a central Chiang Mai bridge on fire. Currently spray painted across that burning bridge are the words, "UN help please!"

The US consulate sent an email warning of "burning tires and firecrackers" being thrown in front of the Chiang Mai governors home and all I can think of are the millions of people who feel "embarrassed" and "scared."

There are countless ways to say you are sorry and countless ways to say you are sad, but those assertions won't change facts and unfortunately, unless somehow monumental, won't do much for fighting.

Red, yellow, or whatever color shirt you wear, it is really only the heart beneath that can spark actions which will give peace a chance and answer the calls for help. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment