Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Winter Months

Apparently winter has dawned on our sleepy Northern city. What this has meant in way of temperature change is nothing. It is still 95 and sunny. What this has meant in way of changes in the Thai wardrobe is drastic. Fur lined sweaters, hats, stockings, and chic boots. The Asians are reminding me of the Miami Cubans, I bet they too are wearing fur lined sweaters on 95 degree days. But hey, it's winter right?

My Tengrish (think about it) is getting better and better. On Monday an exchange in the classroom went something like this.

Me: Can someone please tell me what 'conflict' is?
Thai Boy: Cereal
Me: No that's 'Cornflakes.'

A response like "cereal" would have left me floored months ago but at this point I hardly even smiled. He was close. They sounded similar. I take the blame.


1 comment: